Shattuck Hall (1914 SW Park Ave.) is an elegant 1915 red-brick school building transformed into a dynamic contemporary learning environment. It is home to the School of Architecture as well as a wood shop, a digital fabrication studio, a metal shop with welding area, a foundry for bronze and aluminum with wax room, and sculpture classroom and casting shop.
State-of-the-art hydronic heating and cooling ceiling panels moderate the interior environment combined with openable windows and energy-efficient lighting throughout. The design intent, to “put systems on display,” makes the building a veritable teaching tool, exposing everything from wiring and plumbing to the original plank-formed poured-in-place concrete structure.
The 2008 remodel of Shattuck Hall has garnered two AIA local and regional honor awards for design, an AIA sustainability award, and top awards from engineering and interior design professional organizations.