Business Development for the A/E/C Industries will provide you with the special tools and techniques necessary to develop and maintain successful business development practices for your professional services firm. Whether you’re a new or seasoned business developer, the workshop will strengthen your skills to build more business for your firm in any economy.
This in-person, interactive workshop is led by seasoned, active practitioners in the A/E/C industries with responsibility for bottom-line contractual results. By the end of our day-long program, you’ll understand how to:
- Define BD and identify trends
- Generate leads that end in contracts
- Executive BD strategies to build profitable business for your firm
- Differentiate between business development and marketing
- Build Business by managing the client relationship
Defining Business Development
- What is BD
- Seller-Doer and dedicated BD staff models
- Your personal brand
- Differences between BD and marketing
- BD roles in the sales process
- Trends in BD
- Sales funnel and prospecting, how to generate leads
- Importance/how to of networking
- Qualifying best practices and tactics
- Qualifying leads, Go/No Go decisions
Business Development Planning
- Context within planning hierarchy: strategic plan, business plan, marketing plan, BD plan, individual capture plans
- Sample BD plan
- Articulating your unique value proposition
- What a proactive firm does
- SMPS capture planning form: utilization, decision making, pitfalls, best practices
- Targeting, warm/cold calling, first call script
- Client visits, first meeting/uncovering client drivers, qualifying opportunities
- Advancing toward a sale: Proposal 101 and BD role in preparing for the presentation
- Recommendations and resources
Who Should Attend:
Business Development (BD) for the A/E/C Industries is ideal for professionals who are:
- new to business development
- looking for formal BD training
- working in a technical profession and responsible for BD and client development
- transitioning from marketing to BD
- training technical staff to develop business
Gain insight into your specific business development needs. You will be challenged to evaluate the effectiveness of your current sales efforts, to strengthen your firm’s business development strategy, and to explore effective solutions to challenging business development situations.
About SMPS Oregon
The Society for Marketing Professional Services (SMPS) is a diverse community of marketing and business development professionals working together to move the A/E/C industry forward.
Mission: To advocate for, educate, and connect leaders in the building industry.
Vision: Business transformed through marketing leadership.
We believe in Business Transformed Through Marketing Leadership. In fact, today’s most dynamic and successful A/E/C firms have realized the important balance between sellers and doers, between marketing and business development, and have used this important distinction to their advantage.
Through networking, educational opportunities, and industry leading research, SMPS members gain a competitive advantage in positioning their firms successfully in the marketplace. On top of that, SMPS offers its members ongoing professional development, leadership opportunities, and marketing resources to advance their careers.
SMPS is the only organization dedicated to creating business opportunities in the A/E/C industry. Companies large and small are able to tap into our powerful national and regional network to form partnerships, secure business referrals, and benchmark performance.
In 1973, a small group of ambitious professional services firm leaders recognized the need to sharpen skills, pool resources, and work together to build their businesses. And SMPS was born.
Today, SMPS represents a dynamic network of more than 7,000 marketing and business development professionals from architectural, engineering, planning, interior design, construction, and specialty consulting firms located throughout the United States and Canada. As the business world and built environment continue to evolve, SMPS and its members will be steadfast in staying ahead of the curve. And continuing to transform the way A/E/C firms do business.
Cover image courtesy SMPS Oregon.