Calling all young architects, emerging professionals, architecture students, and architecture graduates.
Join future leaders in the profession of architecture and community to discuss and explore topics of Leadership, Connection, and Service within architecture. For three days, we will interact, engage, and inspire each other.
You are invited to join us at the Young Architect Conference, a 3-Day Conference with keynotes in the morning, workshops in the afternoon, and parties at night. This conference was created with you in mind.
Why the Young Architect Conference?
Hi, I’m Michael Riscica. I’ve attended and spoken at dozens of architecture conferences.
Here’s what they have in common:
- They’re too one-sided. There’s way too much lecturing from-the-stage and not enough interaction amongst all the amazing and powerful people in the room.
- They don’t focus on the future. So many conferences don’t seem to think at all about the next generation of our profession.
- They don’t focus on serving our community. The focus is always on the industry’s new shiny window, or worse, who among us can donate the most money, instead of harnessing the power of the minds of the audience to see how we can serve our profession and our communities.
This is our profession, we’re inheriting it. Things are moving at a faster pace than ever before, and more Young Architects are moving into positions of power. Are you equipped for long-term success? You can be.
That’s why I want you to join us in August, so we can talk about how to make the next generation of Architects the most successful.
The Future of the Architecture Profession
The profession is changing faster than it ever has.
Everything from construction documents, licensure, technology, communication, marketing, professionalism, the workplace, entrepreneurship, and leadership. Baby boomers are retiring and millennials are starting their own firms and businesses. Everything about how we work and live is drastically different than it was 20 years ago.
“The way it’s always been done” is questioned and challenged more every single day.
It’s time to acknowledge these changes and look toward creating a more successful profession of architects for ourselves and future generations.
The mission for the Young Architect conference is to explore leadership, connection, and service within architecture.
All keynotes, workshops, parties, and everything related to this conference will connect back to these three themes in some shape or form.
(Portland Design Pup followers enter discount code DESIGNPUP at checkout for $150 off registration! Offer ends June 5, 2019.)
Trailblazing Speakers You Won’t See Anywhere Else
- MARIELA BRAVO
PROJECT ARCHITECT AT MANUEL BERMUDEZ ARQUITECTO, CSP
Mariela has been working diligently with interns at Manual Bermúdez Aquitectos to help restore Puerto Rico after Hurricanes Irma, and Maria hit in 2017. Together, they have been evaluating the damage, learning why buildings couldn’t withstand a Level 5 hurricane, and what they can now do to improve future building structures.
- WANDILE MTHIYANE
FOUNDER & CEO UBUNTU DESIGN GROUP
Wandile Mthiyane, 24, is an architectural designer, young social entrepreneur and the founder and CEO of Ubuntu Design Group (UDG), an architectural organization that focuses on social impact design projects ranging from individual housing to urban design scale.
- RACHEL GRESHAM, AIA
PROJECT ARCHITECT AT TMPARTNERS
Rachel Gresham, AIA, CDT, is a Project Architect at TMPartners in Nashville, TN and an advocate for diverse and progressive firm cultures in the profession. Volunteering as a mentor and Team Leader for the ACE Mentor Program of Nashville is Rachel’s favorite way to advance the profession and her community.
- DREW PAUL BELL
ARCHITECT AND YOUTUBE CHANNEL HOST
Registered Architect and YouTube Channel Host where he shares videos and posts are about both the knowledge of architecture and the soft skills needed to maneuver school, manage a balanced life, and transition into the profession.
- DR. ASHLEE KLEVEN HAYES
FOUNDER OF RX ASHLEE
Founder of RX Ashlee a career development company that focuses on business development, branding, marketing, and interview preparation for high-level professionals. University of Southern California School of Pharmacy Career Strategist. Business Coach. Motivational Speaker. Podcast Host. Mom.
- BRIAN BUIRGE
OWNER, CREATIVE DIRECTOR, CHIEF JANITOR / GFDA
Brian Buirge is the co-founder of Good Fucking Design Advice. He is a designer, speaker, and consultant for brands looking to embrace a culture of risk-taking. His first book, “Do the Fucking Work: Lowbrow Advice for High-level Creativity” written with Jason Bacher and Jason Richburg, will be published by HarperCollins in Fall 2019.
- MICHAEL RISCICA, AIA
CONFERENCE HOST AND FOUNDER OF YOUNGARCHITECT.COM
Michael is the founder of YoungArchitect.com. He’s also a bicycle enthusiast, public speaker, author, motivational coach, and all around supporter of young architects everywhere.
- ADDITIONAL SPEAKERS TO BE ANNOUNCED
We have grouped the workshops in three different tracks to help attendees choose which workshops to take.
The THREE Workshop Tracks:
- Architecture Student: Geared more towards Students
- Emerging Professional: Not a student and not a Licensed Architect. (AKA the catch-all track)
- Young Architect: Within the first 10 years of Licensure.
Conference Attendees may participate in any workshop they desire, regardless of where they are in their careers.
- Introduction to Project Management
- Perfecting Your Portfolio with Drew Paul Bell
- History of Portland Walking Tour with Historian Eric Wheeler
- Portland Firm Tour – Big and Small Firms
- Sketching Portland, Oregon
- Finding Your First Job After Architecture School
- Building Your Professional Network
- ARE Training – There will be education training each day geared towards passing the Architect Exam.
- Public Speaking in Architecture with Cherise Lakeside
- Are you ready to be a Project Manager? – A Panel Discussion
- Emerging Professional Career Coaching Workshop
- Mock Bid Day with CSI Portland – Group Exercise putting together a bid and discussion about what happens on bid day.
- Becoming an Architecture Content Creator (Blogger, Podcaster, Vlogger, social media)
- Mothers/Future Mothers in Architecture Event – Discussing raising a healthy family as a Working Mother in Architecture.
- Working Internationally
- So you are licensed, now what? – with Rachel Gresham
- Entrepreneurship in Architecture with Michael Riscica
- Community Design Workshop with ORLI+
- Understanding The Role of Social Media For a Firm
Location & Lodging
The Young Architect Conference will be hosted at The Redd, 831 SE Salmon St., Portland OR 97214. The center of Portland’s bustling Eastside neighborhood, home to converted warehouses, mixed-use buildings, and some of the city’s best restaurants and hotspots. This is the “real” Portland. Where Portlanders live, work, and play. The conference will expand over several buildings, campus-style, with The Redd being the hub.
The Redd has trilingual signage in Spanish and Braille. The space is ADA accessible and has a dedicated mother’s room.
The Young Architect Conference has obtained discounts at two great local hotels. The Jupiter (which is the location of the closing party) and the Hotel Rose. Use code YAC2019 when booking at The Jupiter and CORP when booking at the Hotel Rose.
If you are looking to share a room while you are in Portland, we can help with that too. After you purchase your ticket you can complete a form requesting help finding a roommate and we will work to match you up with someone.
Each location has been carefully selected with accessibility and the ability to accommodate everyone’s needs in mind.
The Young Architect Conference is a Working Conference
Are you ready to work?
Great! This conference isn’t for passive listening. It’s not for talking about taking action. You’ll participate, discuss, and engage with exploring the ideas of leadership, connection, and service within the architecture discipline.
Images, videos, and content courtesy Young Architect Conference. Portland Design Pup is a proud sponsor of the 2019 Young Architect Conference.